Rep. John Cyrier represents District 17 in the Texas House of Representatives and is Chairman of the Texas Sunset Advisory Commission, an agency that reviews state agencies to make government more effective, efficient, and responsive to the needs of Texans. In the House, he chairs the House Committee on Culture, Recreation, and Tourism, which deals directly with industries and activities that combine for billions of dollars in economic impact annually to the State of Texas and more than one million Texas jobs. John is also a Captain in the Texas State Guard, Multi-Engine and Instrument Licensed Pilot, and former CEO of a commercial construction firm.
A graduate of Texas A&M University, John was founder and Managing Director of Sabre Commercial. Under John’s leadership, Sabre was consistently ranked in the Austin Business Journal’s top-10 “Best Places to Work” and “Fast 50” list of the fastest growing companies in Central Texas. Sabre was also named among the “Top Work Places” by the Austin American-Statesman and is a five-time winner of the Aggie 100 award, given to the 100 fastest-growing Aggie-owned companies in the world. John has been nominated three times for the Austin Business Journal's Best CEO award.
Now in his third term representing the sprawling house district east of Austin, John previously served as Caldwell County Commissioner and County Judge Pro Tem, where he worked to improve transportation, overhaul outdated subdivision and development regulations, and promote local business development and jobs growth. He was appointed to the Capitol Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, which oversees transportation planning throughout the Central Texas region, and served three years on the organization’s Executive Committee.
A strong believer in service, John joined the Texas State Guard and was promoted to the rank of Captain. He was a founding board member of the Lockhart ISD Education Foundation, and has served on the boards of directors for the Central Texas Food Bank and was board chair of Caritas of Austin, a nonprofit with over 80 staff members that works to end homelessness by fostering self-reliance and wellbeing. John’s service also includes leadership boards for the Real Estate Council of Austin, Capital Area Housing and Finance Corporation, Austin Area Research Organization, Greater San Marcos Partnership, and San Marcos Airport Commission. He is past Chairman for the Austin Chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America.
John is a 1995 graduate of Texas A&M University, where he served as Commander of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band and remains an active member of his local A&M Club. As a leader in the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, John earned the Wofford Cain Boot and Sabre Award, Outstanding Major Unit Commander, and Outstanding Freshman A-Battery honors. John is also an Eagle Scout with a Bronze Palm.
John and his wife, Rachelle, live on their ranch just outside of Lockhart, Texas. Together, they manage a registered Texas Longhorn Herd and are members of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Longhorn Breeders Association, and Texas Farm Bureau. John is an avid sportsman and lifetime licensee of the Texas Parks and Wildlife and member of the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association. He is a multi-engine and instrument licensed pilot with more than 1500 hours of flight time. On weekends, you can often see him overhead in the cockpit of his vintage 1941 Stearman Biplane.
- Texas State Representative for District 17
- Chairman, Texas Sunset Advisory Commission
- Chairman, Committee on Culture, Recreation, and Tourism
- Captain in the Texas State Guard
- Caldwell County Commissioner (2010-2013)
- Caldwell County Judge Pro Tem (2012)
- Caritas of Austin, Board of Directors and past President
- Capital Area Food Bank, Board of Directors (2010-2013)
- Capital Area Food Bank Building Committee Chairman (2013)
- Lockhart ISD Education Foundation, Founding Board Member
- Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), Executive Committee, Transportation Policy Board (2010-2015)
- Real Estate Council of Austin (RECA), Vice-Chairman of Regional Infrastructure, Leadership Development Council (2003), and Christmas in October Chairman (2005-2008)
- Austin Area Research Organization (AARO), Transportation Committee
- Capital Area Housing Finance Corporation, Executive Board, Secretary
- Associated General Contractors of America, Austin Chapter Chairman
- San Marcos Airport Commission, Vice-Chairman
- Greater San Marcos Partnership (GSMP), Economic Development, Board Member
- Caldwell County A&M Club, Vice-Chairman and Aggie Muster Chairman
- Private, Multi-Engine, and Instrument Licensed Pilot
- Stearman Flight FAST Formation Pilot
- United States Green Building Council LEED, AP
- Eagle Scout with Bronze Palm
- Commander of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band 1995
- Air Force ROTC, Texas A&M University
- Wofford Cain Boot and Sabre Award, Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
- Outstanding Freshman A-Battery, Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
- Ross Volunteers, Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
- Outstanding Major Unit Commander, Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
- Who’s Who Among Colleges and Universities
- Distinguished Student, Texas A&M College of Engineering
- Chamber of Commerce
- Texas Farm Bureau
- Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association (TSCRA)
- Independent Cattlemen’s Association of Texas
- Texas Longhorn Breeders Association (TLBA)
- National Rifle Association (NRA) Lifetime Member
- Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA) Lifetime Member
- Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Association
- National Eagle Scout Association (NESA) Lifetime Member
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Lifetime Member
Lifetime member of Texas Wildlife Association and Texas Deer Association